There are four Rockford Park District sites from which to launch:
- Sportscore One (1288 Elmwood Rd.)
- South Park (126 Lane St. behind St. Elizabeth Center)
- Martin Park (River Lane and Sheridan, Loves Park)
- Just north of Riverview Ice House (324 N. Madison)
- There are short-term boat tie-ups and docking available at Beattie Park and Waterside Plaza downtown
- New docks for tie-up are located at Luther Center/Rockford Public Library (end of Mulberry St.) and just outside Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens
- Dock at Riverfront Museum Park (in May), behind Burpee Museum, near the River Walk
- Seasonal docks are installed in the spring (April/May) and removed in the fall (October/November)
- Sportscore One docks remain in year-round
- Atwood Park features a canoe/kayak landing on the Kishwaukee River
For other boat launch points, local rivers and recreation associated with
canoeing, check out the Winnebago County Forest Preserve District.
Catch your dinner from many parks along the Rock River, the Kishwaukee River, Kent Creek, or Levings Lake. Try your line at Sportscore One, Martin, Shorewood, Sinnissippi, Riverview, Beattie, Davis, Atwood, Black Hawk, South, or Anna Page parks. The Luther and Library esplanades are also good spots. Levings Park, Sportscore One, and Martin Park provide lakes and lagoons for fishing. Levings Lake is regularly stocked with catfish and has wheelchair accessible parking spaces and dock.
Wheelchair Accessible Dock Locations:
- David F. Johnson Accessible Fishing Pier located along the Rock River, just south of the Auburn Street bridge. Once completed, the accessible pier will be accessed via the Rock River Recreation Path and wheelchair parking is nearby.
- Levings Lake
- The Waterside Plaza
Other Fishing Information
- A fishing license is required and may be obtained at local bait shops (not available through the Rockford Park District)
- Boating, canoeing, and fishing guides are available at the Rockford Park District and Winnebago County Forest Preserve facilities.
Fish Fest 2013
Join us for some free fishing fun! Catch and create family memories together at this outdoor event that offers hands-on learning stations and fishing. Youth fishers must be accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older. This is a free program; however, pre-registration is required and limited to the first 200 registrants. Pre-registered youth receive a fishing pole. This event is supported by rockfordfishing.com, Gander Mountain, and Illinois Department of Natural Resources. Registration deadline is June 14, 2013.
Fishing Derby on the Rock River
August 3, 2013
Spend the day fishing along the Rock River. All you have to do is find your favorite fishing spot, make the biggest catch, and you could win!
Derby Prizes - Based on 20 entries (prizes will be adjusted for less than 20)
- 1st Place: $100
- 2nd place: $50
- 3rd Place: $25
Click the MyRPD Register Here button below for contest rules and registration.
Regional Activity Center (RAC) at Windsor Lake
7212 N. Alpine Rd. | Loves Park, IL 61111 | 815-636-9066 | Directions
Paddle and Trail partners with the Rockford Park District to run a Regional Activity Center (RAC) at Windsor Lake. The RAC offers water programs such as kayaking, canoeing, and stand-up paddleboarding. Windsor Lake is open to the public for catch and release fishing, along with leagues and derbies. Non-motorized boating on Windsor Lake will only be available through rental options at Paddle and Trail.
For more information about hours of operation, cost, lessons, and activities, call 855-752-9688 or visit www.paddleandtrail.com.